You’ve spent months considering that Digital Transformation project and finally, after much research, discussion and debate, it’s all green-lighted and ready to roll. Except you’ve heard horror stories of companies that spent seven figures on Digital Transformation projects, only to see it falter — and even fail — at the implementation and deployment phases. That’s like stumbling and falling on the track a few yards from the finish line.
These insights leave you feeling uncertain and more than a little nervous as you proceed with this project. That’s completely understandable. Luckily, there’s still time to develop a solid Digital Transformation strategy that directly addresses the issue of implementation and deployment. In fact, now — before any work begins — is the ideal time to come up with a Digital Transformation strategy.
Developing the Implementation and Deployment Phases of a Digital Transformation Strategy
A Digital Transformation’s implementation and deployment phases can be rather complex and a portion of these initiatives ultimately fail as a result of these challenges. This begs the question: how do you develop a Digital Transformation strategy for a successful implementation and deployment of your new technology? One that maximizes user adoption, streamlines operations and ultimately, generates a significant ROI for your organization?
The key is to understand the users, their news, their challenges and obstacles, along with the most efficient way to overcome those challenges and obstacles. Only then will you be able to develop a strategy for Digital Transformation success. Consider these steps and tips for a successful Digital Transformation implementation and deployment.
- Understand the Digital Transformation implementation phase and all that it entails. Implementation refers to the configuration, integration and installation of the software or other technology that’s involved in your project. This phase is performed just prior to the deployment and it often includes beta testing and user training. Engage your Digital Transformation company to ensure you’re both aligned on what will occur during this phase. Remember, without a solid understanding of the implementation phase, it’s nearly impossible to develop a plan for success.
- Involve the actual users as you prepare for the implementation phase and deployment. Real users will have insights that may otherwise evade company leaders, the Digital Transformation development company and others who are involved in planning, developing and deploying the new technology. For example, operations could grind to a halt if a custom enterprise software system is deployed without an essential integration in place. A third-party integration is an easy thing to overlook, but the impact can be significant. This can all be avoided, though, by involving the right people at the right time.
- Establish a group of “superusers” to ease the deployment. These early adopters are typically in a leadership role within their department, division or team. This means they’re well-positioned to provide colleagues with guidance and help. The first to receive training on the new platform, portal or interface, your superuser group will provide valuable guidance to colleagues as they’re trained and then, in the time that extends beyond deployment day. Superusers serve as beta testers too, providing valuable feedback on the technology that’s at the heart of your Digital Transformation project. A superuser can be critical to success, providing much-needed support as everyone learns to make the most of the Digital Transformation.
- Start small, refine, then expand. This is the ideal approach for a successful mobile app or enterprise software deployment. The aforementioned process used to create superusers reflects this approach since you have a small group of early adopters who provide feedback. Then, the platform is refined and the process is repeated until it’s perfect and ready for a company-wide deployment.
- Invest in user training, especially if the new technology is mission-critical. It’s essential that employees are confident in their ability to use the platform in an efficient way. Otherwise, deployment day may be nothing short of a disaster.
- Inform users on what to expect when deployment day arrives. Change is difficult, especially if you’re replacing older technologies with a new one. You want to avoid a situation where users feel as though a digital rug has been pulled out from under their feet. Take the time to inform everyone on the process and timing. Provide an opportunity for them to ask questions. Everyone should be aligned and on the same page. Users should have a clear understanding of what changes will occur, how this impacts their workflow and processes, along with the timeline for the changes.
With these tips in mind, company leaders will be well-positioned to develop a Digital Transformation strategy with an implementation and deployment phases that will drive success.
Digital Transformation for a Great ROI
At 7T, we believe in a collaborative development process that engages the client from start to finish. Our process and philosophy leads to a maximum ROI and immense client satisfaction. Our many Digital Transformation service offerings include enterprise software development for ERP and CRM systems (among others), along with SaaS development for web apps and mobile apps, amongst others. We have extensive experience working with cutting-edge technologies and we help our clients to achieve goals such as scaling by delivering exceptional results that are truly transformative for our clients and their companies.
We’re guided by the approach of “Digital Transformation Driven by Business Strategy.” As such, the 7T development team works with company leaders who are seeking to solve problems and drive ROI through Digital Transformation. We then provide collaborative, multi-phased Digital Transformation solutions to clients in all business sectors, including SaaS startups.
7T has offices in Dallas, Houston and Austin, but our clientele spans the globe. If you’re ready to learn more about Digital Transformation-as-a-service or are seeking to develop an incredible UI/UX on a custom enterprise software platform, mobile app or another piece of technology for your organization, contact 7T today.