A Digital Transformation project can serve as an efficient mechanism for scaling business processes, although this sort of effort does require significant planning to maximize the benefits while simultaneously minimizing disruptions. This begs the question: Exactly what’s involved in scaling business processes with Digital Transformation? And where do you begin?
What is Digital Transformation? – Understanding the Concept
Firstly, it’s important to understand the definition of Digital Transformation and all that this concept entails. A Digital Transformation project can encompass virtually any technology that can be deployed in a manner that augments your business and its processes.
There is an inherent association with a “problem and solution” type of approach when it comes to Digital Transformation. The typical project is intended to solve a problem or address an inefficiency by “transforming” the landscape through the deployment of a new, high-tech solution.
There are four types of Digital Transformation projects, each with a unique focus:
- Focus on Customers or Clients
- Focus on Business Processes
- Focus on Products or Services
- Focus on Employees
These four types of Digital Transformation all fall under a broad umbrella that can include everything from mobile app and enterprise software platforms like ERP software and CRMs, to cloud solutions, SaaS solutions, IoT deployments and beyond. With virtually any and every technology representing an opportunity for Digital Transformation, the opportunities for leveraging this approach are numerous and varied. But how do you scale business processes with Digital Transformation?
Scaling Business Processes With Digital Transformation Projects
Every business has at least one process that’s just dripping with inefficiency — the process that serves as a perpetual source of irritation and annoyance as it continually impacts operations both locally and downstream. And now, you’re tasked with scaling that process as your company grows. This type of business process is a perfect candidate for a Digital Transformation project whereby you can improve the process and expand operations in a manner that is sustainable, highly efficient and productive.
Scaling business processes with Digital Transformation requires a very precise approach with the following basic steps.
• Evaluate the Process – Perform a comprehensive evaluation of the current business process and be sure to identify your goals as you prepare to increase the scale. Strive to answer questions such as the following.
- What is the ultimate goal of the current process?
- What works well in the current way of doing things?
- What are the flaws and weaknesses of the approach that we’re currently using?
- What do we want to modify and/or improve about this business process?
- What other processes are affected by the process we’re seeking to scale?
- What challenges do we anticipate as we scale the process?
- How will these challenges impact the Digital Transformation project as a whole?
These questions will help you to evaluate what works and what doesn’t, offering important insights into what modifications you’ll want to make as you develop a strategy and action plan.
• Map Out the Current Steps – Take time to create a detailed outline or “tree” map of the exact steps used in the business process that you’re seeking to scale. This tree map can also include connections to nearby “trees” that represent other processes that could be impacted by the project. Be sure to involve individuals who are involved in this process because they’ll have unique insights that may be elusive to an “outsider.”
• Determine the New Steps – Identify how the business process will change as you scale and deploy new technology. Again, it’s important to involve individuals who will be directly involved with that business process since they’ll be able to offer key insights and information that may otherwise be overlooked. Again, a map or process “tree” can serve as a useful tool for visualizing the new process.
• Identify the Best Partner and Technology for the Job – Once you’ve determined what your new business process will look like, it’s time to select the ideal technology for your Digital Transformation project. This decision is an important one that often requires a bit of consultation. Enter: prospective Digital Transformation partners.
As you’re interviewing prospective Digital Transformation consultants and development company candidates, ask questions such as, “How would you solve the inefficiencies of this process?” and “What technologies would you recommend for this project?” This will provide you with an opportunity to explore the different options, ultimately allowing you to select a technology and a partner who can develop, implement and deploy that chosen technology.
• Planning a Digital Transformation Strategy for Development and Implementation – In this step, you’ll work with your Digital Transformation partner to arrive at a strategy, plan and schedule for the implementation and deployment of your new technology. You’ll want to ensure that you consider your broader Digital Transformation strategy too so that everything aligns in a way that maximizes efficiency and productivity.
A company can see tremendous benefits from scaling business processes with Digital Transformation, especially in the area of productivity and efficiency. But to achieve this, you must have a solid strategy and game plan in place. The above-mentioned steps will get you on the right path toward success, but there’s still the matter of finding the perfect Digital Transformation partner. Sometimes that partner is a consultant and development company; in other cases, your “partner” may be a Digital Transformation-as-a-Service provider. It all depends upon the exact nature of the project.
Scaling Business Processes With Digital Transformation for a Great ROI
At 7T, our specialty is Digital Transformation and our primary Digital Transformation-as-a-Service offering is our newly-released business messaging mobile app, SayHey Messenger®. Our talented tech team takes on a wide array of Digital Transformation projects, such as enterprise software development, — including ERP and CRM systems — along with process automation, SaaS development for web apps and mobile apps. We have extensive experience working with cutting-edge technologies and we help our clients to achieve goals such as scaling by delivering exceptional results that are truly transformative for our clients and their companies.
We’re guided by the approach of “Digital Transformation Driven by Business Strategy.” As such, the 7T development team works with company leaders who are seeking to solve problems and drive ROI through Digital Transformation. We then provide collaborative, multi-phased Digital Transformation solutions to clients in all business sectors, including SaaS startups.
Our offices are situated in Dallas, Houston and Austin, but our clientele spans the globe. If you’re ready to learn more about Digital Transformation-as-a-service or are seeking to develop an incredible UI/UX on a custom enterprise software platform, mobile app or another piece of technology for your organization, contact 7T today.