Software and mobile app development is never a one-and-done type of project. Think of your mobile app or software as a dynamic, ever-changing digital entity that grows, evolves and improves over time.
But how do you know which mobile app features should be improved or which areas of a desktop software platform need an expansion? You can guess about what your users are doing or you can know what your users are doing with insights derived from product analytics. Often overlooked, software and mobile app analytics tools generate the user data that’s essential in the recipe for success.
What are Product Analytics?
Product analytics generate useful data on exactly what your users are doing within the platform and how they’re interacting with the different regions of your mobile app or desktop software interface. Some product analytics tools also collect data from web-based software platforms too.
Product analytics are technically optional for your software or mobile app platform, but overlooking analytics is akin to driving with your eyes closed! Startups and enterprise clients alike often omit analytics from their development project because they believe their product is being used exactly as designed and intended. But this isn’t always the case. Those who opt to leverage product analytics consistently arrive at a startling realization: there is a vast difference between the intended or perceived usage of the platform and actual user tendencies.
Why are User Analytics Important on a Mobile App or Software Platform?
User analytics and other product analytics features provide data that is critical for the successful expansion and evolution of a platform. Product analytics are indispensable for scaling your business. You need to know your strengths, your weaknesses and precisely how users are interacting with the software or mobile app features.
This analytics data serves as the basis for informed decisions about future development and updates, such as:
- how to modify existing features;
- how to streamline user paths;
- how to improve user experience;
- where to simplify or eliminate features;
- which features to add or expand; and
- how to improve processes in a way that will increase sales, sign-ups or conversions.
What Type of Data Do Product Analytics Include?
When applied to a mobile application or software platform, product analytics tools generate data and metrics on nearly every aspect of a user’s interaction with the platform. Some common types of analytics include:
• Breadcrumbing and User Paths / User Journeys data can be interpreted to understand how users are traveling through the mobile app or software interface. You’ll get data on which pages they’re visiting (and in what order), the length of time spent on each page, and you’ll be able to see where they drop-off and exit the app.
• Heatmapping data provides insight into what users are looking at and clicking on a given page. This tells you what buttons and features are successful at capturing a user’s attention and funneling them through to the next step in a process. Heatmapping data also tells you which features are being overlooked, so you’ll have a good idea of what areas need to be modified.
• Pageview and Click-Through data tells you which regions of the app are being utilized most. You can see how much time people are spending on specific pages and which buttons or links they’re using to navigate to the next screen. This data also provides information on how users arrived at a key point, like a checkout or registration page.
• Form Submission, Cart Metrics and Abandonment data offers information on the actual mechanism of conversion within your app or software platform. If you’re trying to get users to register, submit a form or make a purchase, these metrics will be critical for telling you what’s working and what’s not. Critically, you’ll see information on cart and form abandonment which can be used to streamline the process. Sometimes, small changes in the appearance of a form or simplifying the checkout process can make a big difference.
Insights for a Successful Desktop Software Platform or Mobile App
Analytics provide the data you need to make informed decisions about the development of your desktop software platform or mobile app. There is a specific process or path that users will follow, from the time they install an app, to the time they ultimately become a regular user or loyal customer. Understanding this process is vital for the long-term success of your mobile app or desktop software. Product analytics give you this essential insight.
Here are a few web, mobile and desktop analytics platforms. Some are for both mobile and desktop, while others are mobile-only.
- Heap (desktop and mobile)
- Mixpanel (desktop and mobile)
- Countly (desktop, web and mobile)
- Amplitude (mobile only)
- Flurry (mobile only)
- Apple App Analytics (mobile only)
Once you’ve selected a product analytics platform, the data collection can begin. After a sufficient volume of data is collected, it’s time to perform funnel analysis, A/B testing, new feature beta testing and strategizing the future expansions of your platform.
Choosing the Right Software or Mobile App Development Company
Even the best, most comprehensive product analytics won’t bring success if your development team falls short when it’s time to build an innovative and user-friendly platform. At 7T, we’ve earned a reputation as a top Dallas mobile app development company, with a reputation for developing dynamic mobile apps and innovative software platforms, from CRM platforms and ERP development, to Snowflake data solutions.
At 7T, our development team works with company leaders who are seeking to solve problems and drive ROI through digital transformation. We’ve earned a reputation as an innovative Dallas software development company, as 7T integrates cutting-edge solutions into virtually every project. We’re here to deliver collaborative, multi-phased software development services to clients in all business sectors.
7T maintains offices in Dallas, Houston, Chicago, and Austin, but our clientele spans the globe. If you’re ready to start your mobile app or software development project, contact 7T today.