Embarking upon a custom software development project may seem rather overwhelming, especially if you’re building a large, multi-faceted platform that will perform a variety of different functions. Enterprise software development projects often involve a massive build that can span months or even years.
So how do you convey all of your needs to the software development team? That’s where the requirements document comes into play — a comprehensive and in-depth document that will guide your developers from start to finish.
What’s in a Software Requirements Document?
A software requirements document or “SRD” is a document that is compiled at the start of the project, detailing every aspect of the users, functionalities, features, hardware and software build. The requirements doc typically includes the following information.
- A comprehensive view of the project scope — including the features, functionalities and integrations with third-party platforms, apps or software — will be a core component of your SRD.
- An outline of any possible challenges or obstacles that may be encountered during the development process will prove critical. This provides you with an opportunity to develop a plan for avoiding these pitfalls or minimizing any adverse impact on your project.
- A technical overview will be included in your requirements doc, detailing the various technologies that you’ll be integrating into your software platform.
- Design considerations are discussed in detail in a software requirements document. You can expect to choose color schemes, overall style and look.The typical user or user profiles (in the case of multiple users) is a critical element of a requirements doc, since your developers will need to understand who is using the software, why, and their goals / objectives.
- Performance and security requirements are just two of several specs that you’ll need to consider when developing a new enterprise application or software platform. Your developer will need this information in order to select a suitable server size / platform, along with determining what security measures will best-serve the client’s needs.
- Scaling and evolution considerations will also be included in your SRD. Many enterprise development projects are performed in phases, allowing for a smooth transition and gradual rollout. This can be particularly helpful in scenarios where the company is replacing multiple software systems and apps with a single enterprise platform.
7T has compiled an ebook on software requirements docs, including a useful software requirements document sample that can be used as a point of reference.
Preparing to Compile Your Enterprise Software Requirements Document
It’s virtually impossible for a single person to create a software requirements document because it requires an in-depth understanding of the diverse needs of your company’s team members, along with insight into precisely how each type of user will interact with the platform.
Creating your SRD should be a team effort. Ideally, a group of decision-makers should meet with leaders who represent the various departments or divisions who will be using the software. You’ll want to ask questions such as:
- Who uses the current software platform? (Define user profiles)
- How does each user type use this software?
- What devices do you use? Are there any devices that you’d like to use but can’t?
- What are the most important features or functionalities of your current software?
- What features are missing from your current platform?
- What are your current pain points or inefficiencies?
- What would you need in a software platform to improve these deficits?
- What integrations would you need to see in a new enterprise platform?
These questions should provide you with a good foundational understanding of your company’s needs and requirements for your enterprise software or mobile app platform. You should find yourself in a good position to begin compiling the SRD.
At 7T, our development team enjoys working with company leaders who are seeking to solve problems and drive ROI through digital transformation. An innovative Dallas software development company, 7T integrates cutting-edge solutions into virtually every project, whether it’s mobile app development, custom software projects such as CRM platforms or ERP development, or data solutions. We’re here to deliver collaborative, multi-phased software development services.
At 7T, our development team enjoys working with company leaders who are seeking to solve problems and drive ROI through digital transformation. An innovative Dallas software development company, 7T integrates cutting-edge solutions into virtually every project, whether it’s mobile app development, CRM platforms or ERP development, and data solutions. We’re here to deliver collaborative, multi-phased software development services.