Conversational AI, more commonly referred to as “chatbots,” simulate human conversation, giving businesses an additional touchpoint to interact with their customers. Chatbots are often found answering questions and queries on websites. However, they are not only limited to online platforms and can be applied in a slew of situations. Let’s explore how businesses can implement AI in this area to enhance the User Experience in their mobile apps.
Benefits of AI Chatbots
Decisions to integrate a new technology into your mobile app should be based on the benefits that the technology will provide — in sum, the ROI. Four overarching purposes of chatbots include Lead Generation, Customer Engagement, Customer Support, and Feedback and Insights. The integration of an AI -driven chatbot into your mobile app can improve the user experience by increasing the responsiveness of your business. One benefit is that customers can interact with them at any time; not simply during normal business hours. However, during normal business hours, they can help cut down on wait times and allow your business to assist more customers. Not only does this take some of the burden off on customer service representatives and call centers, it also can provide a timely, positive experience for your client or customer, thus increasing the likelihood of future interactions.
Use of Mobile App Chatbots
If users are already interacting with your business mobile app, you will want to ensure that they have what they need at their fingertips. If they had a question or wanted more information, it shouldn’t be difficult for them to find answers or get help. A poor user experience could result from a lack of customer service features supported by your mobile app. If users are directed to your business website, any additional challenges of navigating different pages, Google searches and perhaps even devices will lead to a frustrating user experience. Your business mobile app can be set up to link directly to a relevant page on your website. However, what if you had a way to answer questions and provide help directly from your app?
Applications of Chatbot AIs in Your Mobile App
Integrating chatbots directly into your mobile app will provide a smooth transition and integrated user experience for customer assistance. When operating under a customer service capacity, chatbots can help answer customer questions and queries. Similar to a website chatbot, your mobile app could include a floating widget/icon that will move as users scroll through an app screen and open on command when tapped.
Floating chatbots may be better for direct assistance. Less urgent inquiries may be better served by a chatbot only on the home screen or dashboard screen of your business mobile app. Finally, you could relegate your chatbot to a specific screen of your mobile app, tucked out of the way but still available for your users.
Types of Chatbots for Mobile Applications
Chatbots use natural language processing (NLP), a form of AI technology, to help computers receive, process and respond to interactions and conversations in human languages. Some are based on a simple decision tree to handle customer inquiries while others incorporate Machine Learning, allowing them to “ learn as they go” and tailor the conversation based on the customer’s responses and account information.
Many will give customers predetermined responses to choose from while others will allow customers to type in a chat box and will look for certain words or language cues to determine the type of assistance that is needed. Whether you decide to implement a free response option or offer selective/determined responses, chatbots can help you improve the user experience of your mobile app. Your industry and the purpose of the chatbot will help determine what type of chatbot to integrate into your mobile app.
Industry Examples of Business Mobile App Chatbots
AI chatbots can be used in a variety of industries. Here a few specific examples of chatbot applications in your custom mobile app:
- Managing and updating account information – Updating account information is a common customer service inquiry. Rather than calling your business directly, a chatbot can guide customers through the process of verifying or updating their information. In addition to account information, chatbots can also help with managing account history and processing returns.
- Contractor scheduling, appointment booking and confirmations – Chatbots can serve as a virtual assistant, walking customers through appointment bookings and checking in to confirm appointment times. In the same interaction, they can also answer any customer questions or direct customers to relevant resources and forms to prepare for the appointment.
- Payment and purchase assistance – Chatbots can help your clients through the process of making payments within your mobile app or determine the best method for customers to make a payment. When accessing account information, they can also inform or remind customers of when payments are due or help them set up automatic payments.
- Gathering customer feedback – We’ve all received requests for app store ratings from apps, but what if you took a similar approach for your business? Chatbots can facilitate the process of leaving a review and ask for feedback through specific questions that are tailored toward the customer. This way, your business receives more comprehensive and detailed feedback to help optimize your services.
- Healthcare identification and diagnostics – NLP has been used to help patients determine the type of care that they need. When connected to a database of healthcare data/information, healthcare chatbots can help patients find a care provider based on the analysis of their symptoms or health insurance coverage.
Mobile App Chatbot Best Practices
Many AI are interactive and intelligent enough that people do not always realize they are talking with a bot. However, many have stories of frustrating experiences with chatbots when they cannot get the information or the assistance that they need.
AI chatbots work best when answering specific inquiries or providing general information. Chatbots in your mobile app will be most effective when they are available to answer simple questions and can guide the conversation with your customer/client. If a customer is unable to find the information they need or the chatbot is unable to resolve their situation or answer their question, there should be a streamlined handoff to a live customer service representative.
If a handoff occurs, customers should be connected to a relevant department based on their request. During the transition, the customer service representative should be provided with a detailed account of the digital conversation and pull up the account information of the customer, if applicable. Other times, the chatbot can refer customers to more information on an FAQ page or a company blog. Chatbots will be most effective when you consider them in an overarching business or mobile app strategy.
AI, Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing
Chatbots are powered by data, and the more customer data they have access to, the more personalized and improved user experience your business will be able to provide. It all starts with effective data management and utilization. Since many chatbots utilize machine learning technology to improve their interactions, the more scenarios they encounter, the better and more effective they should become. Especially at the beginning, it is important to monitor chatbot interactions to determine common problems and make adjustments. Additionally, businesses would benefit from paying attention to the data they collect from interactions with customers, and work to curb pain points and improve the customer experience even more.
Develop a Mobile App With Chatbot Capabilities
If you are interested in integrating chatbots into your mobile app, 7T is ready to help. Our mobile expertise spans a variety of cutting edge technologies, including machine learning and natural language processing. Check out our client, MediBookr, who used innovative mobile app chatbots to revolutionize the healthcare industry. Additionally, if you need help leveraging business data to improve your customer service, our Snowflake service partners can help you craft an effective data governance strategy. If you would like to discuss the use of conversational AI chatbots in your custom mobile app, reach out to the team at 7T today.