There are few things more frustrating than spending months working on a mobile app development project, only to find that it’s struggling to gain traction in the app stores. A strong mobile app marketing strategy is essential for ensuring success and one component of this strategy should focus on the following app store SEO tips.
What is App Store SEO and Why Does it Matter?
Search engine optimization or SEO is critical for establishing an online presence and maintaining good visibility. Consider how people search for a mobile app: they enter a query on Google or go directly to the app stores and enter a keyword phrase that reflects what they’re seeking in an app.
Your app store page needs to reflect these terms so you register as a search result when it matters most. Otherwise, your app may fly under the radar because it lacks key terms that your target audience is using as they perform their search. It’s shockingly easy to omit essential keyword phrases in your app title or description. This is content that must be written after careful research and consideration so you’re not just including important keywords but the right keywords.
7 App Store SEO Tips for Better Visibility
Consider these 7 app store SEO tips for improved app store visibility and, in turn, more downloads.
• Tip 1: Identify Your Audience — If you try to be all things to all people, you’re going to come up short. So identify your target audience and familiarize yourself with their motivations for seeking and installing your app. You want to put yourself in the user’s shoes, especially as you perform keyword research in the next step.
• Tip 2: Identify 2 to 4 Keywords — Research your mobile app niche and find out how people search for that type of mobile app. What phrases are they searching? Pick 2 to 4 terms that you can include in your app store content, landing page and any other online content you write for your app.
• Tip 3: Focus on Keyword Phrases — The term “keyword” is actually rather deceptive because you should be targeting a keyword phrase. You’re not going to search for a single word or even 2 words; most search queries are 3 to 5 words. Be specific and select keyword phrases that are representative of what your target audience is searching for.
• Tip 4: Include Keywording in the App Store Title — Your mobile app’s page title is perhaps the single most important field for app store SEO. As such, this field needs to include a keyword phrase in addition to your app name. For instance, you don’t want the title to be “App X.” Opt for something descriptive and keyword-centric like, “App X – Exercise Tracker Mobile App.” This approach works well because the keyword phrase serves as an exact match to the searcher’s query and it gives people a better sense of the app’s functions and features. The latter is particularly critical if the app type isn’t apparent in your app name.
• Tip 5: Include Keywording in the App Store Description — Your app store description should include your keywords and natural variants of those 2 to 4 keywords. Remember that only first couple lines will be visible by default in most cases (the user has to expand or scroll to view more). Therefore, include a keyword phrase in this area and make it crystal clear what your mobile app is offering. Be careful to avoid unnatural repetition too. The only thing worse than no keywording is keyword stuffing.
• Tip 6: Monitor Your Results — App store SEO is like any other type of search engine optimization effort — A/B testing is a must. Monitor your results and fine-tune your SEO strategy accordingly. You’re not going to perfect your app store SEO on the first shot. It takes time, along with some trial and error to arrive at the ideal keywording for your mobile app’s app store pages and other web-based marketing content.
• Tip 7: Refine Your Keywords Over Time — As you monitor your results, keep track of your successes and failures in terms of keywording and SEO in the app stores. Try different keyword phrases and variants to arrive at the most effective combination for your mobile app.
Successful Starts With a Top Dallas Development Company
The best app store SEO tips won’t bring success if your actual mobile app falls short of expectations. This can occur at many levels, whether its poor user flow through the app, a confusing and hard-to-use interface, or features that have been poorly designed. This underscores the importance of trusting your mobile app development project to an experienced team of experts such as those here at 7T.
As a top Dallas mobile app development company, we know what it takes to succeed in developing a great mobile app, whether it’s a consumer-facing app or an enterprise mobile application. At 7T, we specialize in digital transformation through the development of innovative apps and software platforms, including CRM platforms and ERP development, or Snowflake data solutions.
At 7T, our development team works with company leaders who are seeking to solve problems and drive ROI through digital transformation. We’ve earned a reputation as an innovative Dallas software development company, as 7T integrates cutting-edge solutions into virtually every project. We’re here to deliver collaborative, multi-phased software development services to clients in all business sectors.
7T maintains offices in Dallas, Houston, Chicago, and Austin, but our clientele spans the globe. If you’re ready to start your mobile app or software development project, contact 7T today.